Unsecured or inadequately secured loads can shift when a vehicle is in motion and may cause:
• Loss of control of vehicle.
• Objects to fall on or hit people.
• Road obstruction or collision where a driver is required to swerve to avoid fallen items.
• Spillages that may cause vehicles to lose control.
• Failure to secure loads properly may also result in financial losses due to damaged goods and vehicles, lost working
time, clean-up costs and possible legal costs.
This course is practical and classroom-based. It is aimed at drivers and loaders of goods vehicles. It provides participants with the knowledge and skills to deal with basic load configurations in a safe and efficient manner.
Topic 1: Legislation
Topic 2: Principles of safe loading and unloading
Topic 3: Principals to consider when securing a load
Topic 4: Company Responsibility and Driver Responsibility
Topic 5: Health and Safety
Topic 6: Types of restraints
Topic 7: Types of load
Topic 8: Problems arising from poor load securing
Topic 9: Weight distribution and the impact it has on a load
Topic 10: Practical demonstration of correct use of ratchet/lashing
straps (classroom based and external at vehicle).
Who should attend?
- Loading/unloading operatives such as warehouse and yard
- Those responsible for raising and maintaining health and
safety standards across a team of professional drivers
All participants will be expected to demonstrate their understanding by continuous assessment during the course.
3.5 hours (classroom and practical).
Maximum 16 per course.
Training to be delivered on client site where the practical element can incorporate the correct securing of a typical load for your operation (a loaded trailer/vehicle would need to be made available to demonstrate safe load securing discussed in the classroom). Please provide suitable training room and vehicle(s) for practical session.
- On completion of this course a certificate of attendance will be issued to all participants.
Why choose FTA Ireland in-company training?
Value for money
significant savings for members on the
price of our public courses.
on-site training eliminates the need for
expenditure and time allowances for staff travel.
FTA Ireland’s Quality Assurance (QA)processes ensure standardized delivery across Ireland –crucial for evaluating training effectiveness and promoting excellence.
through an element of content control increases relevancy and alignment with your systems and policies, and the option to bespoke training to match your business objectives.
with our expert trainers using their wealth
of experience to tailor courses to your company needs and requirements.